Melbourne Fast Facts -
these are tidbits of information about
the Melbourne area.
Want to sound like a native? Show your friends
and family that you know more about Melbourne than they do? Then read on...
- Melbourne is Brevard County, Florida's second largest city.
This city has 65,000 residents, is 30 square miles and is
considered the hub of South Brevard.
- Melbourne, in South Brevard County, originally was a training area for
soldiers during the Civil War. Some soldiers, who were attracted
to the river and the ocean, returned and bought land at 5 cents per acre.
After the Civil War, pioneer families arrived and Melbourne was founded in the
late 1860's by former slaves. The city was named after the first postmaster's home
city of Melbourne, Australia. The first school in Melbourne was built in 1883
and is now part of the Florida Tech campus.
- Summer highs are in the mid 80's while the winter highs are in the low 70's.
Melbourne experiences brief late afternoon rains, but the average of sunny days in
the area is 300!
- Day Trips from Melbourne
- Nation-reknown places, such as Disney World, Sea World, MGM Studios
and Cape Canaveral are just an hour's drive from Melbourne.
- In the Melbourne/Palm Bay area, 33 miles of uncrowded, clean and sandy Atlantic
beaches are available. One of these public beaches is Spessard Holland in Melbourne
- Housing Options
- Brevard County is ranked first in the south and tenth in the nation as one of the
most affordable places to buy a home. Homes which reside in neighborhoods by the
beach are generally 20 percent more expensive, however, they are still reasonably priced.
Another plus is that Florida homeowners get property tax breaks!
- Tourism in Brevard County
- Tourism is the number one revenue producing industry in Florida. Tourism provides
20% of the total state budget for services. It contributes an estimated 14% of the annual school
budget. Broken down, this is paid for by 16.2% on motor fuel & gasoline, 27.3% on retails,
52.4% on restaurant sales, 78.5% on admissions, 78.9% in taverns and bars and 87.1% in hotels
and motels by tourists.
- The local cuisine includes a variety of restaurants in different categories, such as:
casual, Chinese & Japanese, ethinic & gourmet, family, fast food, Italian and steak &
- Outdoor Recreation
- Minutes away from the Atlantic, Melbourne offers many water sports as well as on-land
activities. You can engage in boating, fishing, sailboarding, scuba diving, surfing, water &
jet skiing or camping, golf, hunting and tennis in several places in Melbourne.
Travel Options & Tools